Pages

Sunday 23 September 2012

Niks home made chicken, bacon, leek and mushroom pie




I made this recipe off the back of 2 small chicken pies I bought from the Friday Shop.  I only just discovered the Friday Shop a couple of weeks before my trip to Australia.  It was very hard not to get carried away whilst saving. The week before I left I spent almost $70 on food there.  Its that damn good.  So after the Friday shop chicken pies (which were fantastic I might add) I felt a challenge coming on, so I decided to make my famous chicken pie. It  has been almost 5 years since I have made it but did it from scratch, so hopefully I will remember the recipe as I write this!


Ingredients:

Puff pastry sheets
1 egg white

250grams of bacon sliced 
300 mls of cream
1 leek white part sliced thinly
1/2 kg of boneless chicken thighs sliced finely
1 good pinch of grated parmasen.
1 egg yolk
1/2 a kg of sliced mushrooms 

1 knob of butter.




Method:

Use a frypan and add the butter till its melted. Add the chicken and fry till browned.  Remove from the heat and set aside to cool. 





 Add the bacon and fry till cooked.  I personally like mine crispy.  Remove bacon from the heat and set aside.  Fry the leaks till transparent.  Add the mushrooms and fry till cooked.  Add the chicken and bacon back to the frypan and cook on a medium heat.





 Add the cream and stir through, let it sit on medium heat till it starts to boil down. Add the egg yolk and stir till it is blended in.  Remove from the heat and let cool

Get 1 sheet of the puff pastry and put it in an oven tray.  Add the chicken, bacon, mushroom and leek filling to the middle of the pastry, use some water to brush the edges and get another pastry sheet and cover the pie. 



 Use the egg white to bursh the top of the pie, this makes it come up golden.  Use a fork to seal the pie around the edges.  Repeat, this recipe should make 2 full sized pies.



Heat the oven to 180 degrees on fan forced.  Let the pies bake fro 25 minutes.  The puff pastry should rise and the pies should look like couch pillows.






Images by me.





No comments:

Post a Comment