Pages

Friday 17 August 2012

Cake Pops.






Sorry for the absence from my blog the last 2 weeks, work, sleeping and the Olympic's kind of took priority.   I have decided to end theartofzing at this point, but keep it on the internet just incase I want to go back to it down the track. I am glad to give up the "fashion blog" title, it always left me feeling like I couldn't keep up, that what I had wasnt good enough and always wanting material things that were financially unobtainable. With a food blog, all you are doing is cooking and collecting recipes- not Chanel handbags and YSL Arty
rings.

  Anyways, to the cakepop's

So if you dont know what cake pops are you have been living under a rock (no offence :S)  They are everywhere!  I decided to try this because they look really cool.  Plus I was really wanted to know to make them!  These are sooooo easy to make. I bought everything premade as it was probably cheaper to do that than make the sponge from scratch.


Ingredients:

Its up to you what flavours you pick.  I chose vanilla. 

270 grams of Sponge Cake- I got pre made sponge from Countdown
1/2 - 2/3's of a can of   Frosting/Icing- I used Betty crocker pre-made icing
Cooking chocolate.
Chocolate sprinkles
Wooden Skewers (chop the point off)

Method:

Crumble the cake into fine cake crumbs with your hand. Add the 1/2 a can of frosting and combine with your hands.



  Once it mixed through, roll into little balls about 2-3cm's in diameter.  Watch the consistency with these, you dont want them too moist, if they are dry add more frosting.




Melt some chocolate (see below makeshift instructions) dip the skewers in the melted chocolate and stick in the middle of the cake pop  balls. Pop these into the freezer for about 40minutes to an hour (till frozen).



This is where it gets tricky.  I didn't know how to melt chocolate.  I just used a saucepan on the lowest heat and added the chocolate chips till melted, added the melted chocolate to a mug and dip the cake pops in the melted chocolate.  I would not suggest you use this method of chocolate melting, chocolate burns really quickly if you are not careful.  It worked for me...... just.  Here is a method you should use.  The method I used was not the best way and as I mentioned only just worked.


Dip the cake pops into the chocolate and spin them till the pop is covered.  Add the sprinkles on top of the chocolate before it sets.  






Let them sit till the chocolate has hardened. Refrigerate till you need to serve them.


No comments:

Post a Comment