Pages

Thursday 2 August 2012

Al Browns Paua Ravioli

So I am currently on annual leave at the moment.  You may have noticed, I have complained about being tired lately in a few blog posts.  I have decided to take a 4 day weekend to recoup. I need to sleep and relax.  Nothing confirmed that I need time off more that this......

So I decide to swap my heals for flats to go to the supermarket this afternoon to find the ingredients for this recipe. When I am half way there I look down and notice that I have on 2 different pairs of shoes on..... In broad daylight, in the middle of Dunedin.... Serious fail!!!!!



I have been obsessing over this recipe for weeks. After I bought my first round of paua and its ingredients I found this recipe.... and was gutted I had committed myself to two other recipes

However...I finally did it!  I bought some minced paua from Hawks Bay Seafoods and the rest of the ingredients and tonight I gave it a go.  DELISH! Al Brown knows how to combine some serious flavours! Al brown is one of my Celeb Chef hero's

One thing I have learnt.  No more than 3 ravioli's per plate.  I am a paua hoarder and consumer..... And a pasta hoarder and consumer. I will literally eat the stuff till its gone. Combine the two and.......

  Well its gone and I feel full....

 Soooooo full I could pass out.....  I forget that paua is soooooo damn rich!

One normal person doesn't need more than 3 ravioli's... period.  Mix that with Beurre Blanc and you have a very heavy but amazing meal.   Too much of both could leave you in a food coma!  Right now, I am very close to that!

Sorry this isn't more exciting than "Mexican Meatball Soup", but hey, all I can do is try.




Step 1: Ravioli 

Ingredients 
3 egg whites     I used one eggwhite
1 packet wonton wrappers    I used 12 wonton wrappers
1 kg paua (minced)     I used 250grams of paua
1 tsp garlic (minced) 
2 tbsp shallots (minced)   
1/4 cup coriander leaves (rough chop) 
2 tbsp chili sauce 
Salt & FBP Pepper to taste )
FBP means fresh black pepper, incase you didnt know.

Place the minced paua in a bowl and add all the other ingredients.  











To check seasoning, just microwave half a teaspoon full, taste and adjust if necessary. Now a comment on this.  Don't be a dumb ass and actually put the teaspoon in the microwave with the paua.  It could make the microwave explode.  Ours almost did.



To make the ravioli, take your egg whites and a pastry brush.  Spread 6 wonton wrappers out on the bench then brush the egg whites around the outside edge of the wrappers.   Place about a tablespoon (20gms) of the  paua mix in the centre of each wonton wrapper and place another over the top. 







Jade getting all creative with the masterchef top angle.

Cut with a cookie cutter, discard the off cuts and pinch together the two wrappers.  The ravioli can be made one day ahead before needed. 


Step 2: Basil Lime & Coriander Beurre Blanc 

Ingredients 
50ml white wine     
50ml white wine vinegar 
1 shallot (rough chop)   
8 peppercorns     
1 bay leaf      
100ml cream     
250g butter (cold & cut into cm squares) 

Place the wine and vinegar in a saucepan, add the shallot peppercorns and bay leaf.





Reduce the liquid by three-quarters over medium heat. Next add the cream and reduce by half.









 Cool slightly then return to the low heat and whisk in the butter chunk by chunk until silky smooth.


 Strain and discard peppercorns etc. The beurre blanc will keep in this form for a couple of hours if kept covered in a slightly warm place, i.e., next to the stove. 

Step 3: Plating & Serving 

Ingredients 

2 large pots of boiling water   
Paua ravioli      
Beurre blanc    
2-3 tbsp basil (rough chop)   
2-3 tbsp coriander (rough chop)  
1-2 limes (flesh only-minced)   
Salt & FBP to season 

Divide the ravioli between the large pots of boiling water.  Cook for 2-3 minutes then strain and  remove.


  
Place immediately in a warm bowl and pour over the warm beurre blanc.  Add the basil, coriander and minced flesh from the limes.  







Season with salt and fresh black pepper.  Serve the portions in the center of a warm bowl plate and garnish with a sprig of coriander or basil.





Recipe from here.










No comments:

Post a Comment